If your marriage is in crisis the number one thing to do is to seek God like you never have before. Jesus promises that if we seek Him, we will find Him.
The apostle Paul tells us that the weapons of our warfare are not of this world, but divinely powerful for demolishing strongholds.
Each person seeks God in their own way but here are some practical ideas that I used during our marriage crisis.
- Went for long walks and learned to enjoy God’s creation.
- Poured out my heart to God either verbally or in writing.
- Read His Word like I was dying of thirst.
- Listened to worship music – often fell asleep with my headphones on. Worship music that was centered around Scripture was most helpful to me.
- Prayed Psalm 51 aloud multiple times. It is David’s confessional psalm after his adulterous affair with Bathsheba. I suggested this to a friend in crisis once and he reported a new peace and hope after doing it.
- Fasted and prayed.
- Searched for and read many different resources that were Scripture and Christ focused.
- Went forward for altar calls at my own and other churches.
- Did the Beth Moore study “Believing God.”
I cannot guarantee that your marriage will recover, but it has a whole lot better chance if you are seeking God through Christ, and you will have more peace and joy in your life no matter what happens.